Greetings Abiding Presence,
These have been some trying times. With information coming in daily, we have adopted a spirit of adaptability. We thought we would only have to refrain from physically gathering together through the end of the month. Considering the latest stay home order, your leadership has decided that our time apart will be extended to practice safe social distancing. As of today, March 25, we are announcing that Abiding Presence will continue our worship life, using video and online resources through Easter.
This was not an easy decision to make, and like you we all feel uneasy about it, but we believe in a God who provides for us in the most amazing ways. Jesus says, “Do not worry, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ Your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:31-33
We promise to continue providing meaningful worship experiences for you to participate at home with family and online with others. We promise to provide weekly educational opportunities online to use at home with others. We promise to hold you in prayer and ask that you continue to pray for others, the staff and leadership of this place of grace.
So until we can return let us Seek God and Serve Others in new ways.
From 6 feet away,
Due to Bexar County and San Antonio area “Shelter in Place” guidelines the church office will have limited hours Monday-Thursday 8:30-5:00. Staff are on site primarily for purposes of producing digital learning and worship resources. Please call in advance if you need to come by to pick up or drop off things.
Blessings Abiding Presence family and friends,
What an amazing weekend of worship! There are over 700 views of last weekend’s worship experience on YouTube with people sharing it and having watch parties with others online. What a gift! If you have yet to worship online with us, click on our worship and ministry updates page. The staff continue to work diligently in new and innovative ways to meet the needs of this community of faith, providing meaningful worship experiences, educational offerings and service opportunities.
Deuteronomy 31:8 says, “It is the Lord who goes before you. God will be with you; will not forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” What reassuring words for us today. God is with us in new and amazing ways and ministry is still happening at Abiding Presence.
We have introduced a new ministry called Phone Caregiver. These are people who adopt a handful of families to contact weekly to help keep this community of faith engaged. Some have already signed up, more are still needed. Will you make this your ministry of service? If you would like to become a Phone Caregiver, email me. Let’s keep this church engaged.
Know that ministry is still happening. As we continue to seek God and serve others in new ways, I invite you to continue sharing your financial gifts with Abiding Presence. Many of you have been giving on line for some time. If this is new to you, here are the safe and secure methods you can begin giving in new ways.
- Mail in your offering.
- Give by Text – Text “APLC” to 73256 and follow the link in your text message to complete.
- Go to MyAPLC on this website to give a one-time gift or set up recurring gifts.
- Use your bank’s website to set up regular recurring gifts.
Let’s keep Abiding Presence strong. Ministry is still happening. Fear not, good people of Abiding Presence, it is the Lord who goes before us. God will be with us!
Seek God. Serve Others.
Grace and peace Abiding Presence family,
The prophet Isaiah reassures people longing to return to their home, their temple, their lives, “Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
I was mindful of these words as I announced at worship yesterday, “following recommendations of our synod and the CDC, we will not gather to worship for the remainder of the month.”
Your staff and Executive Director met today to discuss what this means for Abiding Presence. While we may not be able to physically be together, fear not, God is with us, strengthening us for the days ahead. This is an opportunity to Seek God and Serve Others in new ways.
- All worship services, meals, meetings, and ministry gatherings are canceled through March 31.
- Worship will be available online. In the next few days, you will receive instructions to participate in a new worship experience using YouTube.
- Faith formation will come to you. Lessons for all ages are being compiled right now to be delivered electronically for study through the week. I hear Mike and Chip are working on some fun video messages.
- In the coming days we will look for new ways to care for each other. We are establishing “Phone Caregivers” who adopt 5 or 6 people to check on by phone weekly. If you’d like to serve this way, click here to email me.
- We will continue to practice good stewardship. Your financial gifts are needed to continue supporting our ministries, our church and Day School employees, and our facility. Now is a great time to establish reoccurring giving online.
- The church office will be open from 8:30 am-5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. The sanctuary and outdoor chapel are available for individual prayer and reflection during these times.
As we receive new guidelines we will respond accordingly. We will be in touch regularly with news and opportunities to Seek God and Serve Others in new ways. For now, join me in praying for each other, our church, our community, our leaders and country in this difficult and trying time.
Fear not, God is with us!